Hobbit Kayak Tour, Ready to Take The Plunge?
Join our experienced, friendly guides on an eye-opening, fun kayaking tour paddling down the scenic Pelorus river, New Zealand, used in the filming of the second Hobbit movie, "The Desolation of Smaug".
What to expect of your Hobbit Kayak TourWhether this is your first time on the water or you are experienced, the Pelorus river has a lot to offer. The dramatic beauty of this valley is unparalleled, so join us on this unique kayaking adventure.
- Drift down the crystal-clear Pelorus river paddling your own canoe.
- Enjoy New Zealand's pristine native forest as you float past, & learn how the flora & fauna were utilised by the Maori people.
- Learn the history of the gold & timber industries that shaped the top of the south.
- Our Hobbit Kayak Tour will help you explore this famous filming location by standing on the same rocks & passing the same waterfall as Bilbo and his friends. Get involved in this amazing Middle-earth location.
- Free photographs of your special day.
Your Hobbit Kayak Tour step by step
Meet and greet at our base / Bluemoon Lodge Havelock. Get fitted with our high-quality paddling equipment.
Enjoy a 25 minute scenic drive in one of our comfy minibuses to our private entry location on the Pelorus river.
Paddle over 7 km down the river, visiting remote filming locations from The Hobbit en route.
Stop and enjoy a swim in one of the many private, crystal clear swimming pools.
Continue downstream to our takeout point and shuttle bus.
We bring you back by bus to the starting point at Bluemoon Lodge Havelock.